Sunday 16 October 2011

The Van Doren Effect, or the Seductive Sidestripe's Siren Song

First thing's first, the blog now has a store! You can find the link along the side of the blog, or click the link in the last sentence if you have a craving for some BTJ merch.

I picked up a new pair of shoes this weekend. I had the option of either the TNT 5s, or the Rowley SPVs. Given that the TNTs only came in a black and orange colourway, I opted for the SPVs in classic black and white.

Aesthetically, they look like a pared-down, almost dressier version of the Old Skool, and the padded heel piece and tongue, coupled with a thinned-out sole make for a particularly comfortable fit with no break-in time. That being said, the thin sole and bare-bones upper probably mean that durability would be an issue for street skaters, so on account of that I would more quickly recommend the Rowley SPVs to those who skate more transitions.

Let's all be honest here, though, you guys probably didn't visit the blog to read a shoe review. For that matter, I'm sure you could probably find a similar review of the SPVs from any number of sites, or find a similar review of any number of shoes. At the end of the day, one of the most convincing arguments for buying the SPVs, or really any pair of Vans, is that, come on, they're Vans.

Case in point, Vox just released the below video of Dan Drehobl skating a mini ramp in a brand new pair of Vox shoes.


OOTB Series - Dan Drehobl from Vox Footwear on Vimeo.

I would love to be able to tell you that the first thing I noticed about the video was Drehobl's skating. By no means is that a sleight to the skating, as it is impressive as any Corpsey footage, but the fact of the matter is that the first thing I noticed about the video was this:



I assure you that the above images were not photoshopped in any way, it just so happens that the Vox Saveys bear a remarkable resemblance to the Vans Eras, right down to the stitch pattern. Vox is, by no means, the only company guilty of doing this, by the way. I defy anyone to find another skate shoe company who has not released a mid-top that looks similar to the Half Cab.

Now, not to sound like a snob, but at the end of the day, if I had to make a choice, I would purchase the Eras. I find myself wondering exactly why this is; what drives this kind of fierce brand loyalty that I tend not to have for many other products? For all I know, any given pair of Vans döpplegangers may be more durable, or more affordable than their inspiration, and yet I stand by my choice.

It seems to me that what it boils down to is the fact that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The look of many of the most classic Vans shoes is so often borrowed from for a reason: these are good shoes. It is not without merit that Vans celebrated 45 years in the business this year, and not without note that a couple of their shoe designs have lasted just as long. So, in the end, while yes, there may be a kind of emotional connection I have to the almighty waffle grip and sidestripe as as tranny skating punk-rock fan, I cannot help but argue that my love for Vans comes simply because, well, they're Vans.

No comments:

Post a Comment